Grizzlies roster now and next year.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Grizzlies roster now and next year.

Post  southbluffsgrizzfan on Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:38 am

I posted something like this over on the Grizzlies Board. I am a season ticket holder and have gone to the last almost 30 home games and like some, watch the games religiously on tv when they are on the road. I am reminded that many of the good teams that make runs in the playoffs go thru years of maturation and learning. What I am attempting to say is the Grizzlies have the pieces in place already to do what we all want them to do--go to playoffs and make some noise. I read where a lot of people think Mike Conley should go.Hey,if we can get John Wall in the draft or if we can get Utah to give us Deron Williams or since many people seem to be enamoured of Darren Collison, if we can get him, then lets do it.But dont give away the franchise to get them. Mike can do the job the team needs him to do. He may not be a Cadillac point guard but he is not a Yugo either and he knows the system and what is needed of him by Lionel and the coaches.
I have watched this team run out to leads on most all the teams it plays, we just cant hold the leads and that is just maturity and mental toughness. That will come in time. With good coaching and maturity, we will be able to hold these leads. According to Eric Haseltine, Griz radio play by play man,we have had 15 and maybe now 16 games that we have had double digit leads only to blow it and lose the game. Just think if we had won just half those games, we would be firmly entrenched in the playoffs and this is a year early when compared to Heisleys and Wallaces 3 year plan. So I see the Grizz's glass as half full. I think we have the pieces here and next year will be the one. Just wait and see. GO GRIZZ

Last edited by southbluffsgrizzfan on Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

southbluffsgrizzfan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Grizzlies roster now and next year.

Post  Gasol_The_Great on Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:22 pm

Great post!

Personaly, I believe if we can find a good replacement, we should let Mike Conley go. Yes he has been performing well as of late, but he just seems too inconsistant. I just honestly cant see the Grizzlies making a serious Playoff run with Conley as the main option for PG.

What are your guys' feelings on resigning Rudy?
Gasol_The_Great
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile http://gasolthegreat.forum-motion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  southbluffsgrizzfan on Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:47 pm

As far as resigning Rudy Gay, that is tough one. I believe that a component of developing a fan base and a "relationship" between fans and the team is having good, classy guys who are active in community and are great ambassadors for the team out in the public eye. But you have to weigh that against the cold hard business that is the NBA. Zbo makes 16M a year right? Now do I think Rudy is worth what Zach is? No. He is not as consistent. A max contract would be equivalent to 25% of the salary cap, right? What is the salary cap these days? 60M?? I really dont know what it is. But if it is, then that would translate to 15M per year for Rudy, right? I am halfway guessing because I dont know the ins and outs of high level NBA finance. But I dont think Rudy is worth that kind of money. However that is just my opinion. Rudy is worth whatever an owner will pay him and if he gets an offer of 12M-15M per year, wow, I just dont know. I am torn because I really really want him on the team. He doesnt bad mouth Memphis, he gets out in the community. At the Grizz functions where players are involved, he actually speaks to people. But for that kind of money, I would want a more consistent product on the court. So I have gone on and on to come back around to where I started--I just dont know. I would just have to see the offer he gets and then see if we could make it work for the Grizzlies.

southbluffsgrizzfan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:06 am

WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE THINK ABOUT ME, OJ MAYO?!?!

DO YOU LOVE ME?!?!?!

YES YOU DO!!!!

the end Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  southbluffsgrizzfan on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:37 pm

Aww, thats cute OJ. Yes we love you. Just be more consistent and learn to hit clutch shots and FT's (you could have won the Laker game with just one FT-you clanged two and the shot at the end) and we will really love you. But it will all come in time. Just need experience and maturity.

southbluffsgrizzfan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gasol_The_Great on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:48 pm

southbluffsgrizzfan wrote:As far as resigning Rudy Gay, that is tough one. I believe that a component of developing a fan base and a "relationship" between fans and the team is having good, classy guys who are active in community and are great ambassadors for the team out in the public eye. But you have to weigh that against the cold hard business that is the NBA. Zbo makes 16M a year right? Now do I think Rudy is worth what Zach is? No. He is not as consistent. A max contract would be equivalent to 25% of the salary cap, right? What is the salary cap these days? 60M?? I really dont know what it is. But if it is, then that would translate to 15M per year for Rudy, right? I am halfway guessing because I dont know the ins and outs of high level NBA finance. But I dont think Rudy is worth that kind of money. However that is just my opinion. Rudy is worth whatever an owner will pay him and if he gets an offer of 12M-15M per year, wow, I just dont know. I am torn because I really really want him on the team. He doesnt bad mouth Memphis, he gets out in the community. At the Grizz functions where players are involved, he actually speaks to people. But for that kind of money, I would want a more consistent product on the court. So I have gone on and on to come back around to where I started--I just dont know. I would just have to see the offer he gets and then see if we could make it work for the Grizzlies.
Yeah, I agree with this. Im hoping with all the distractions from Lebron, Wade, and Bosh teams will overlook Rudy.

Lol, pay no attention to Mr. Mayo. geek
Gasol_The_Great
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  southbluffsgrizzfan on Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:29 am

How many more posts do I have to post in order to get another one of those cool stars? I want more stars!! LOL

On a serious note, Portland and Spurs lost last nite and Spurs next game is at OKC then home to play Lakers and Cavs I believe. Also,Houston plays at Chicago, with Rose back in lineup, and at OKC as well. I really hope OKC can help us out along with Chicago. And, hopefully Kobe and Lebron will really want their games at Spurs. We need serious help. And by the way, it would be good if we win tonight and at Warriors. LOL. Guess what I am saying is we will know a lot more about how things will shake out in the next week or so. Like I have said before, I just want the games to be meaningful down to the wire. In that light, do we shut down Marc and let him heal while giving Hasheem "tha Dream" as much playing time as he can stand, or do we play him if possible till we are mathematically eliminated? That is what I have been pondering lately

southbluffsgrizzfan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gasol_The_Great on Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:24 am

southbluffsgrizzfan wrote:How many more posts do I have to post in order to get another one of those cool stars? I want more stars!! LOL

On a serious note, Portland and Spurs lost last nite and Spurs next game is at OKC then home to play Lakers and Cavs I believe. Also,Houston plays at Chicago, with Rose back in lineup, and at OKC as well. I really hope OKC can help us out along with Chicago. And, hopefully Kobe and Lebron will really want their games at Spurs. We need serious help. And by the way, it would be good if we win tonight and at Warriors. LOL. Guess what I am saying is we will know a lot more about how things will shake out in the next week or so. Like I have said before, I just want the games to be meaningful down to the wire. In that light, do we shut down Marc and let him heal while giving Hasheem "tha Dream" as much playing time as he can stand, or do we play him if possible till we are mathematically eliminated? That is what I have been pondering lately
Lol, you need 100 posts to reach the next rank.

But I personaly believe we should shut Marc down. Honestly, why risk re-injuring him when are Playoff chances (while not TOTALLY gone) are extremely slim.

Besides, Hasheem really needs minutes.
Gasol_The_Great
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Memfan on Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:26 am

I would love to hear Gasol's take on this. The games are quite boring without him. I'd love him to get his stats up to 15/10. I cannot figure out why the players so willingly pass to Thabeet, but not to Gasol. Maybe Heisley ordered them to do so.

I hope Heisley keeps his word to pay Rudy, but I hope the amount is reasonable. My major fear is that other players will want whatever Rudy gets, and it will be hard to not pay at least O.J. the same amount. The big problem is that Heisley rather trade away everyone than pay the luxury tax which is absolutely necessary to compete for a title.
Memfan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  southbluffsgrizzfan on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:12 am

On 560 AM this morning on "the morning rush" they had an interesting topic: if we could keep only one of them, who would you keep and pay: Rudy? or OJ? Most callers said Rudy. Peter Edmiston said Rudy. Ron-ron was traveling back from cally so some other guy was on there and he said OJ. I guess I tend to lean to Rudy. The reason being that Rudy can play possibly 3 positions--the 2,3 and a little of the 4. He is long and athletic and can get his shot off. OJ, while in his own right exciting and talented, is undersized and cannot play PG. He is too small to play the 3 so he is only a 2. He got worn out this year by the likes of JR Smith who is 6-6. And if a team has a 2 guard that is 6-6 or better and can shoot, OJ just cannot stay with him. This was supposed to be Ronnie's forte before he got hurt--shutting down guys like JR Smith or Stephen Jackson or maybe Jamal Crawford. Truthfully I would hate to lose OJ. It just doesnt seem like the Grizz without him but when faced with keeping only one, I would have to keep Rudy. I hope some creative financing can be done and keep both of them.

southbluffsgrizzfan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Memfan on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:47 am

Yeah, I heard that debate. I think O.J has more leadership, room for growth, and the potential to become a mega-star. However, Rudy is more talented now. I think it's far more important though to make sure you can keep Gasol and Randolph above everyone else.

You don't need to break the bank for a SG or a SF. It's true that a super-clutch GF (think Carmelo, Durant, Lebron, Kobe, or Wade) only comes along about once every other year, but there's usually a couple of GFs every year at just below Gay and Mayo's current level.
Memfan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:32 am

Memfan wrote:Yeah, I heard that debate. I think O.J has more leadership, room for growth, and the potential to become a mega-star. However, Rudy is more talented now. I think it's far more important though to make sure you can keep Gasol and Randolph above everyone else.

You don't need to break the bank for a SG or a SF. It's true that a super-clutch GF (think Carmelo, Durant, Lebron, Kobe, or Wade) only comes along about once every other year, but there's usually a couple of GFs every year at just below Gay and Mayo's current level.

^ this
Martin
Administrator
Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  new_skool91 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:03 am

Anybody remember the weeping and gnashing of teeth that was occurring at the beginning of the season on how the 3YP was such a "joke"? I think that we have established a core, have a decent starting five, and need two main things in my opinion. The first, obviously, are pieces to come off the bench, but secondly, and just as important, is an established system for those pieces to work in. Hollins did an outstanding job this year, and the players and team matured greatly, but a good as he was, his coaching and game management too was a work in progress through the season, and struggled at times with a set rotation and the concept of "playing the same game every night" because the parts were so new, and he wasn't sure what fit where.

There are also so many what-if's.

The only one who progressed at the expected curve or maybe a little ahead of it was Sam Young, but what if DA had picked up, uninjured, off the bench, where he started now, at least, was were he is now after 1 month of play during the season?

What if the paltry Mike Conley who had double digit FGA's in on 4/15 games in November and averaged about 4.7 assists had already evolved into the Mike Conley of March, who has had single digit FTA's on only 5/14 games and score 19 in one of those, averaging about 6.0 assist per game with two double-doubles?

I think that with our team progress, including that of Thabeet, and with a key upgrade or two off the bench, such as at PG (be it Hudson or otherwise) and a three point shooter, next year looks exciting. I don't know who exactly we will bump off, because Houston will probably get better with the return of Yao, OKC won't get worse, and Phoenix and SA probably will hold steady, but we will see!

new_skool91
New Guy
New Guy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  new_skool91 on Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:01 am

Now that we've shored up the starting five, we need to work on the bench. I'm not sure what will happen with Brewer. I think that we will attempt to resign him to a reasonable deal. There hasn't be a lot of buzz that I've heard about him. I would love to see him anchor our bench and mentor Vasquez and X.

I think that if we can get reasonable productivity from our two new guys, we are 45+ wins next year, but I dunno if that's enough to make the playoffs.

new_skool91
New Guy
New Guy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  new_skool91 on Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:08 am

Plus, I think that Super Cool Beas would be a great risk of an acquisition as well. My only hesitation is that we don't have the strength of veteran leadership to keep him fully anchored. He has great upside and has shown some explosive moments.

new_skool91
New Guy
New Guy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top